This FAQ is to show you how to set up HDMI Share to automatically show a laptop when plugged in.
- Usage and Configuration of HDMI Share
- How to Add/ Configure an Action Tile
- Supported HDMI Capture Devices
- Setup your HDMI Capture Device
- Setup the HDMI Share Screen
- Setup HDMI Share for your HDMI Capture Device
- Using HDMI Share to display a laptop when plugged in
1) Setup your HDMI Capture Device
- You will need to have an HDMI Capture card from one of our Supported HDMI Capture Devices.
- Install the HDMI Capture card and connect a laptop to the HDMI port (only needed for setup).
- Make sure the laptop is set to share or duplicate the screen on the HDMI port.
- NOTE: if you are using a Magewell device you may need to set the Magewell default background color to black.
2) Setup the HDMI Share Screen
First enable HDMI Share. Go to settings > HDMI Share > General > Enable HDMI Share
Now, you will need to enable the screen you want your laptop to be displayed on.
- Select the HDMI Share "screens" tab.
- Select the screen you would like and check "Is Enabled".
- Set "Default Visibility" to "Show only when device is showing". This will ensure the laptop screen will be displayed only when it is plugged in.
- CAUTION: make sure "Allow Close" is unchecked, otherwise users may not be able to get the HDMI share screen back.
3) Setup HDMI Share for your HDMI Capture Device
- Select the HDMI Share "devices" tab
- From the list of connected devices, select your HDMI Capture Device. Common aliases are:
- Magewell: USB Capture Device.
- Mimo: Plankton Captured HDMI Video.
- Check "Is Enabled" for your capture device.
- Set default screen to the one you enabled in the previous step.
- Set default visibility to "Show device when plugged in".
- Save the settings.
- Disconnect your laptop.
4) Using HDMI Share to display a laptop when plugged in
- All you have to do is to plug the HDMI cable to a laptop. Most laptops will display automatically, but if not, you may have to press a function key on the laptop.
- To stop sharing, unplug the laptop. That's it!