This FAQ is to show you how to set up HDMI Share to prompt users to plug in their laptop and have it automatically show.
- Usage and Configuration of HDMI Share
- How to Add/ Configure an Action Tile
- Supported HDMI Capture Devices
- Create an image for prompting the user
- Setup your HDMI Capture Device
- Setup the HDMI Share Screen
- Setup HDMI Share for your HDMI Capture Device
- Using HDMI Share to display a laptop when plugged in
1) Create an image for prompting the user
Using your favorite image editing software, create a "background image" (JPG or PNG) that will prompt your users to plug in the HDMI cable to their laptop. This image should be the same size or aspect ratio as the screen it will be displayed on, as it will be clipped to fit the screen definitions. Here is an example:
2) Setup your HDMI Capture Device
- You will need to have am HDMI Capture card from one of our Supported HDMI Capture Devices.
- Install the HDMI Capture card and connect a laptop to the HDMI port (only needed for setup).
- Make sure the laptop is set to share or duplicate the screen on the HDMI port.
- NOTE: if you are using a Magewell device you may need to set the Magewell default background color to black.
3) Setup the HDMI Share Screen
First enable HDMI Share. Go to settings > HDMI Share > General > Enable HDMI Share
Now, you will need to enable the screen you want your laptop to be displayed on.
- Select the HDMI Share "screens" tab.
- Select the screen you would like and check "Is Enabled".
- NOTE: you will want to select a screen that is not used for anything else (like Quicklaunch) as the background image will need to be displayed all the time.
- Set "Default Visibility" to "Always Show". This will ensure the background image will display all the time.
- CAUTION: make sure "Allow Close" is unchecked, otherwise users may not be able to get the HDMI share screen back.
- Load the image you created above for the "Background Image"
3) Setup HDMI Share for your HDMI Capture Device
- Select the HDMI Share "devices" tab
- From the list of connected devices, select your HDMI Capture Device. Common aliases are:
- Magewell: USB Capture Device.
- Mimo: Plankton Captured HDMI Video.
- Check "Is Enabled" for your capture device.
- Set default screen to the one you enabled in the previous step.
- Set default visibility to "Show device when plugged in".
- Save the settings.
- Disconnect your laptop.
4) Using HDMI Share to display a laptop when plugged in
- Quicklaunch will always display the background image prompt.
- All users have to do is plug the HDMI cable to a laptop. Most laptops will display automatically, but if not, you may have to press a function key on the laptop.
- To stop sharing, unplug the laptop and the background image will re-display. That's it!